baby ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 29, 2008

We had a game today. It's a team we already played and lost to terribly. It is coached by the league presidents husband, and surprize they have three VERY good pitchers. That's not my gripe though. It turned out to be an ok game, and yes we lost. Here's the problem. I had a very angry parent get in my face during the game. So lets start at the beginning. Her daughter is a very nice girl but very passive when it comes to softball. I try to talk to her and get her involved, but all she ever givews is one word answers. Well the girl fell at school a month ago and chipped a bone in her finger, so she was out for about 3 to 4 weeks. I have no problem with that, In fact I asked the mom if she could still come to practices and games to cheer on and support the team since she in a part of the team. I e mailed constantly as I do with the rest of the team, but no communication back. Well she came back to practice yesterday, to which I was excited to have her back, tried to talk to her, and asked if she was feeling ok, and all, got the same one word answers. Here's where it gets hard. WE have twelve girls and ten positions. So I always have to have some girls sub out. Every one has had to sub, and we haven't had any problems with it. Knowing that this was a big game, and that she was at practice the day before I went ahead and started the girl in right field. Now the girl is very nice, but she could not catch a single ball thatwe threw to her yesterday or today. I had two girls sub out the first inning, and two girls sub out second inning. She was one of the girls out second inning. Well the mom was livid, and verbally went after me in the dug out in the middle of the inning, saying that there are eleven other girls that should have been pulled out to sub before her daughter, It wasn't her fault that she was hurt, and that she didn't pay money to have her be be put out in right field the whole season and be taken out in this game. I calmly explained that there were eleven other girls that have been subbing out the whole time she was gone too, and that I wanted her to take it easy since she just came back. Mom got mad and told me that is why they waited a week before coming back,so she could take it easy. Now mom did not communicate this to me before now. So in order to get back to the game in which I was coaching, I told her to go ahead and take it up with the league president. she did, and the league pres pretty much backed me up. Funny thing though is that this mom started throwing out the whole sponsorship thing, ( her husband sponsored the team for the league). I knew this was going to happen when I was puting hte line up together, but what could I do. I have everyone else who has been to the practices, and games, and has worked hard. So I ask, what would you do? I felt that I was fair in starting her since she has not been able to come to practice before yesterday. Even the pres, said don't worry, you can't please everyone.

6 comments:

Annie said...

You did what you had to do and it was the best thing you COULD do. The mom needs to understand that even though they are sponsors and that her daughter was out due to injury, there are other girls who have made the effort to be there and that they all have taken their turns as subbing. Yes, everyone wants to win, but what fun is it when there is contention (starts with the parents)? Last I saw, everyone was tryng to be supportive of each other and the coaches were doing the best they could - voluntarily. Good job with the team. You done did good, Suzi!

James and Kresta said...

Hey Suzi! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. It's nice to see you on here. I can't believe how big your girls are. Do you miss Bakersfield at all? We would love to get back to Utah. It's so beautiful there. Well, keep in touch.

Just The Three Of Us said...

HI Suzi!!! I can't believe how time has flown by!!! The girls are so mature!!! How are your guys? How is Utah?

Lisa Miller said...

You did the right thing. She was in the wrong and needs to chill out. Of course, she used her cruch to fall back on - sponsorship. But, support your decision. Kudos to you!

Jennikunz said...

What a total B! I don't like her.

HappyOrtons said...

HI GUYS! WE FOUND YOUR BLOG!
TAKE CARE AND KEEP IN TOUCH!
WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD READING YOUR BLOG. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
LOVE,
THE ORTONS